Thursday, August 28, 2014

Williams Shave Soap

Among the many items I purchased during our short trip to Portland was a new old stock puck of William's Mug Shave Soap. Emblazoned  across the box is a profound statement and the companies motto "Famous For its Lather". I toyed with the idea of trying the soap whilst a small nostalgic part of me restrained that thought. I have always been a collector but in the end I do like to play with my collections whether it be old film cameras, bicycles, mopeds, or vintage razors. So begins the review of a fine vintage soap...

3 passes:
     -With the grain
     -Across the grain
     -Against the grain

Razor- Gillette Aristocrat
Blade- Gillette Silver Blue
Brush- Unknown vintage brush
Mug  - Unknown vintage glass mug
Soap - NOS William's Mug Soap

The shave started by soaking one of my favorite brushes in a bath of hot water. I released the old puck of William's soap from it's soggy paper, into a mug where it was then moistened with just a few drops of warm water. Much to my delight with just light swirling the soap came alive and began to develop a momentous lather! Once satisfied with it I began applying. The lather was smooth, yet thick with an extremely slick feel to it. On the first pass it would have been hard to guess that a weeks worth of beard growth was in front of the blade as it glided across, quietly vanquishing every whisker in it's path. With the second pass, still absolutely no nicks, or burn. Onto the third, minor irritation and just a few nicks. As more experienced wet shavers had warned me about William's soap, I had found something truly great. The day that William's puck runs out will be a sad one. As a complete shave it has earned a fantastic 9 out of 10.

Enjoy the photos, As no words can describe the experience.











No comments:

Post a Comment